Fear is an emotion which is released when you perceive any thing, an event or situation, any living creature as a threat or danger which can be harmful to you. It results in sudden change in your behavior like increased heart rate, sweating, screaming etc. Whereas, some amount of fear is fairly acceptable but problem arises when it increases in intensity and affects our daily routine.
There are different types fears, the most common type of them are as follows:
There can any number of fears in our life, but it does not mean that you are weak or inefficient. You need to face, accept, confront and resolve your fear. The following process will help you in identifying and overcoming with your fear.(1) Understand the type of fearYou need to first find out the type of fear that you experience whether you are scared of any situation, thing or a living creature. It could be any of the followings:
(3) Feel the intensity of your fear:Intensity of fear shows the extent of penetration of it in your mind. The higher is the intensity of fear, the deeper it is rooted in your mind. Your next step is to identify the intensity of the fear when you encounter it. That is,
(4) Accept and Face your fearAfter the identification of the type & intensity of the fear, the very first step in the process of overcoming your fear is to accept it without any condition and question. Actually, people generally hide their fear from others and present it in the modified form which is more acceptable by the society. For example, let’s say I am scared of lizards, so instead of accepting this fact, I tell to others that I don’t like lizards (A modified version of my fear). This modified version leads to partial solution of the problem. The more open you are in accepting your fear, the better and effective solution you can find out to eliminate it. Accept your fear with the same intensity which you feel when you encounter it.
Must read: "13 important characteristics of strong minded people"
(5) Try to find the origin and history of your fearThe most of the fears that we experience are based on the past events. These past events settle down in our memory and become beliefs which exist in our mind. These beliefs are such deep rooted and engulfed our mind that we never or hardly try to question, discover or unfold our fears. Therefore, we need to find the history behind our fear in order to overcome it.
Please read: "Realize your true potential by challenging your belief system"(6) Question the credibility of your FearYou need to diligently find out that the credibility after finding the history behind it. Is this true, false or psychological? The credibility of the fear will help you in finding the right solution of it.
(8) Start relaxing techniques to overcome the feeling of fearThe more your mind & body is relaxed, the better you will be in position to overcome the fear. The relaxing techniques like Yoga, Meditation and Deep breathing have been found extremely useful in tackling and overcoming the feeling of fear. These techniques have the following benefits:
(9) Take healthy and balanced dietIt is scientifically found that healthy & balanced food reduces your stress level, lowers cholesterol, reduces the likelihood of heart attack, improves mood and improves your concentration level. In short, it keeps you fit both mentally & physically and equips you to fight against your fear. Therefore, you should add fruits, green leafy vegetable and dry fruits in your daily diet.
(10) Start imaging the desired outcomeThis technique is actually a mind game in which you condition your mind to imagine a desired outcome that you want to see in the future. For example, if you are afraid of failing in an examination, then imagine that you are passed out the exam with flying colors. This feeling will relax your mind, makes you positive, reduces your fear and you tend to appear for the exam.
(11) Start benefiting from your fearPractice conditioning your mind to treat your fear as a catalyst instead of an obstacle. For example, you fear of failing an examination which affects your concentration and pulls down the level of your preparedness. As you are half- prepared, there is more likelihood that you will fail the exam and when you appear for it your fear becomes a reality that is you fail the exam. Here, in this case fear overpowered your mind and you failed the examination.
Practice conditioning technique as a catalyst before it starts affecting your mind negatively, that is start preparing more diligently and well in advance for the examination. This will not only increase & boost the level of your preparedness for the examination but also create more chances of clearing it and when you clear it your fear will disappear automatically.
The body develops a fighting mechanism to deal with the fear tries to overcome it. So, one can say that a small amount of fear is good for the growth. As you start becoming more defensive towards your fear, the intensity of the fear starts increasing. This is the time for intervention before your fear empowers you and makes you defenseless and helpless. A timely corrective action helps you to get out from your fear before it gets deep rooted in your mind and becomes difficult to extract it. The only solution to overcome your fear is to accept, face it and defeat it.